Rating : 5/5 stars
Goodreads : Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.
My review : You already know that I loved Ruby Red the first book in the series and this second book is no exception.
In this book Gwen is preparing for a mission. She has to go to a ball in the 18th century with Gideon. In Sapphire Blue she needs to practice dance, learn different languages, historical facts but it's really hard for her because she has to learn all that stuff in just a few days when her cousin has been prepared for years so it's a lot of pressure for her.
I didn't mention that in my first video but I loved the quotes from classic books, family trees or the extracts from documents related to the world of the trilogy, between the different chapters.
Once again reading that trilogy is an amazing reading experience because I'm always trying to make connections between the different historical periods and Gwen's own present life but also her future.
As i've said in my first review I love Gwen's ability, she can talk to ghosts. At her school she's always seeing a ghost from the 18th century. His name is James and I love reading about him. It's hearbreaking because he thinks he never died and that he is just dreaming about being in this school and talking to Gwen. I liked that in this book he tried to help Gwen with her dancing skills. I really want more James in the next book I hope we'll discover more about his past.
And then there's... Xemerius ! Xemerius is a gargoyle demon that Gwen met in a church at the end of the last book. When Xemerius realised Gwen could see him he decided to stay with her. He is probably my favorite character in the series (with Gwen's grandfather). He is such a funny character and really useful because he can listen to any conversion and explore Gwen's house. I want a Xemerius in my life !
I just wish these books had more pages because I read them so fast. And the time span of the narration is really fast too. The first and second book take place in just a couple of days. It's really weird to think that this trilogy takes place in such a short period of time.
I don't want to spoil anything but there is something happening at the end of book, it's about Gideon and I never saw it coming.
I really hope that the third book is as good as this one because that series is becoming one of my favorite YA series.

No comments:
Post a Comment