Rating : 5/5 stars
Goodreads : In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.
Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!
My review : Don’t read that review if you haven’t read the book because it might contain spoilers !
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare is the sixth and last book in The Mortal Instruments series. I started that series four years ago and I can’t believe it’s the end…
That book lived up to my expectations though. It thought it was a perfect conclusion to the series. It was supposed to give a lot of answers and it delivered them.
Let’s talk about my favorite parts of the book :
One of my favorite passage in the book was the dreams that the characters were having in Edom. These dreams were so heartbreaking and bittersweet. I wish some of them were true especially Clary’s dream.
I also loved Simon’s sacrifice. I nearly cried when he decided to give up all his memories. And when Clary is talking to him at his school and he doesn’t recognize her my heart just couldn’t take it (and aaahhh he called his band The Mortal Instruments !!!).
Another beautiful passage and it’s probably my top favorite was Sebastian transformed into Jonathan a boy he should have been if he didn’t have demon blood in him. A boy that seems so nice just like in Clary’s dream. His conversation with Clary in that part was so heartbreaking.
I’m so amazed at Cassandra Clare genius mind. I still can’t believe all the connections she was able to make between the Internal Devices and City of Heavenly Fire. I think what I liked best in that book was when Jem and Tessa were mentioned or present in some scenes. I had just a stupid smile on my face the whole time and I nearly cried every time Jem mentioned his parabatai… Oh Will how I miss you… After finishing City of Heavenly Fire I decided to reread the end of Clockwork Princess and to look at the family tree again. I just admire Cassandra Clare so much. She must have crazy outlines of her series. And writing books with a lot of different points of view must be really hard too.
I was happy and relieved by the happy ending because I think they deserved that. I thought at least one major character was going to die. Everybody was talking about Magnus death and I was so happy to see it didn’t happen. Especially since Magnus is one of my favorite character (with Tessa) and I was really happy to get to know him better and discover his past in that book. I really need to read the novellas written with his point of view !
There is much potential for The Dark Artifices now. I loved getting to know the characters already especially through Emma’s point of view. I think she’s going to be an amazing heroine. And it’s great to have an heroine already kick ass and that has been part of the shadowhunter world since she was born unlike Clary and Tessa in the previous series. I love the Blackthorn’s family already because I love big families. I love Emma and Julian friendship and I can’t wait to follow the evolution of their parabatai bond in that new series. I can’t wait to discover that new institute in Los Angeles even if we saw it a little already in City of Heavenly Fire. And apparently Tessa and Jem are going with them !!!
So this is the end of The Moral Instruments era. I spend four amazing years reading these books. But it’s not over there is another spin off series and that’s what I like with Cassandra Clare. Lots of people are saying that she should write something else but I’m just so happy and relieved that she still wants to write about this amazing shadowhunter world.
Some of my favorite quotes from the book :
“Have you ever felt that your heart contained so much that it must surely break apart?” p. 236 Zachariah to Jace.
“I’ve never felt so… light.” p. 617 Sebastian to Clary.
“ I always told myself that would never happen to me. That I’d try to be like Peter Pan, never grow up, always retain a sense of wonder. Always fall in love, be surprised, be open to being hurt as much as I was open to being happy (…) Warlocks, as they get older, they start to calcify. They stop being able to feel things. To care, to be excited or surprised.” p. 663 Magnus to Alec.
“A lifetime of times” p. 720.
Some funny quotes :
“What is this? Early caroling?” Alec.
“ Brother Zachariah”, Isa said. “Months January through December of the Hot Silent Brothers Calendar.” p. 695.

No comments:
Post a Comment