Monday, 20 August 2012

Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead

Rating : 3 / 5

Goodreads : Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire, paid to bind and banish creatures from the Otherworld. But after her last battle, she's also become queen of the Thorn Land. It's hardly an envious life, not with her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and Eugenie eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind. And now young girls are disappearing from the Otherworld, and no one--except Eugenie--seems willing to find out why.
Eugenie has spilled plenty of fey blood in her time, but this enemy is shrewd, subtle, and nursing a very personal grudge. And the men in her life aren't making things any easier. Her boyfriend Kiyo is preoccupied with his pregnant ex, and sexy fey king Dorian always poses a dangerous distraction. With or without their help, Eugenie must venture deep into the Otherworld and trust in an unpredictable power she can barely control. Reluctant queen or not, Eugenie has sworn to do her duty--even if it means facing the darkest--and deadliest--side of her nature. . . 

My review : This is the second book in the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead. As you all know Vampire Academy and its spin off are my favorite YA series and I loved her adult series Succubus. But I'm not a huge fan of the Dark Swan series  though.I did'nt like the first book. I gave it 2 stars and if it was another author I would have stopped this series. But Richelle Mead is one of my favorite author ever so I wanted to finish it!
I'm glad that I decided that because this second book was better than the first one. I think the reason why I liked this book much more that the first is beause in Thorn Queen the heroine is a Queen. I just love heroines that are Queen like Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore. And in this book she had a lot of new responsabilities towards the lands and its citizens. I loved the idea of a bonding with the land that is necessary for the land but also important for herself morally and physically.
What I love in Richelle Mead's is the fact that there are several different plots intertwined : her boyfriend having a baby with his ex, the girls disappearing, the bandids, the weather problem in her land...
The love triangle is even more present in this second book and i'm still Team Dorian  !

No comments:

Post a Comment