Monday, 27 August 2012

The Selection by Kierra Cass

Rating : 4 / 5

Goodreads For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

My review : I enjoyed reading this book more than I expected. I didn't want to read it at first because of all the mixed reviews on goodreads and the "scandal" surrounding the release of this book (Kierra Cass literary agent insulted a reviewer on goodreads). But I'm glad that I read it because I spend a good time reading it.
I really like the idea of this book : 35 girls chosen to enter a competition to win Prince Maxon's heart and hand. It reminded me of The Bachelor.
I also liked the idea of castes. Every citizens are organized by numbers according to their jobs ect...
Usually I'm not a huge fan of dystopian books but I think that I enjoyed this book because the dystopian world and society is not very developed. And it's not the best YA book ever. The writing is not that good, sometimes some parts of the book were really chessy or too cliché. The main character America Singer annoyed me. She is very self-deprecating and detached from the competition. The plot was not that great. But I don't care I spend a great afternoon reading this book. I wanted to give it 3 stars but I don't know I was in a good mood and my aftertoon that day would have been boring if I hadn't read this book so I decided to be nice.
And I need to confess that one of my guilty pleasure is reality tv show so maybe that's the reason why I liked the atmosphere of this book.
I think i'm going to read the sequel !

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the book..And I was like you..Hesitant to read it at first, but then it showed up on my door and of course I was intrigued. I thought it was an okay read. You're right..The plot isn't that great. It's not even developed. I gave it a 3/5.

    I just have to say I love that cover. That photo is gorgeous. I think I might like it also due to the tiffany blue lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, when this book first came out and there was all that drama I decided I wouldn't ever read it but, in the past few weeks I've read a couple of positive reviews, like yours, and now I think I should reconsider! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :) The CW picked this up as a TV show and filmed a few episodes, but they didn't add it to their fall line up. I'd love to see it as a show.

    ReplyDelete