Rating : 4 / 5
Goodreads : Sixteen-year-old Eon has a dream, and a mission. For years, he's been studying sword-work and magic, toward one end. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye-an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.
But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a twelve-year-old boy. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.
When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.
My review : I was very confused when I started Eon. It was not what I expected. I found an hero who is cripple and a sixteen year old girl pretending to be a twelve year old boy. So at first it did not appeal to me at all... I'm used to love kick ass heroine so that was a big change but... Eon was awesome anyway !
I liked that from the beginning we are straight into action ! What I also loved is that it's such a different read and I need that sometimes. This is a completely different civilization and it was so refreshing to read something like that and discover more about the harem, the eunuch ect... It reminded me of Lian Hearn's series (Tales of the Otori) and I love that series. Eon has a great set of characters I loved them all : Lady Dela, Ryko, Rilla, Chart, Kygo even Ido was such a great villian character. They are all so different and special !
The idea surrounding this book is also pure genius : each dragons representing a value and linked with the Chinese calendar , being ascendant, apprentice... It is well thought !
But I didn't give it 5 stars because some parts were a little boring. And this whole inner energy thing and they way they connect to their dragons was pretty confusing but I would like to understand it. Eon can't really explain it either since it's all new to her and no one is explaining it to her too. And also this book miss a little romance ^^.
But I really want to read Eona now !! The end of Eon was pretty epic and now Eona is going to be a kick ass heroine just how I like them and I can't wait to see that !

tnx 4 the review . i still have not read it yet
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to read this series forever! So glad to hear you loved it---in such a thick book, a few boring bits can be expected and forgiven, I guess! :D Need to get to these soon!
ReplyDeleteI missed the romance in Eon too, but don't worry, there is romance in Eona. These two books were both amazing. Nice review, and I can't wait to read your Eona review! ^_^
ReplyDeleteI've got this in my TBR stack and keep hearing such good things about it. Lovely review Marie, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete