Rating : 3,5 / 5
Goodreads : Freshman Rose Zarelli has rage issues.
First of all, her father lost his job, took work as a contractor in Iraq...and never came home.
Second, she likes the wrong guy and his super-intense, scary cheerleader girlfriend is now her nemesis.
Third, her fashionista best friend, Tracy, is suddenly infinitely cooler than she is—and talking about losing her virginity. (What?!)
Rose is ahead when it comes to studying for the PSAT, but she’s so far behind socially that she might as well be moving backward. She needs Tracy’s help choosing the right clothes, she likes all the wrong extracurricular activities, and she can’t even make a decision about which photo of her father to put on the memorial website she’s making (and hiding from her adolescent-shrink mother).
With her brother away at college and her mother always locked in her office with her messed-up teen patients, Rose struggles to get through each day without inflicting bodily harm on anyone.
My review : I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a cute but heartbreaking contemporary book and it's full of emotions.
I was really surprised and amazed while I was reading this book because the author's writing is so true and honest. She totally understands teenagers, their preoccupations such as sex, harassment, popularity, death ect... Her words touched me.
I felt connected to the heroine Rose because I went through the same problems at school. Between the age of 11 and 15 I lacked confidence. School was awful... well especially the social part. I didn't fit in and I even suffered harassment... So reading this book was kind of hard for me...
But I cannot totally understand Rose. She lost her father and that's why this book is so heartbreaking. I can't even imagine what she is going through. She tried to cope with that loss through her anger. But she is also growing and developing right in front of us. A few months after her father's death she is starting high school and let's say that she is going through hell again.
I totally understood her reactions and I just wanted to step into the book, slap some characters, defend her and hug her.
I really liked the love interest. Jamie is such a complex and touching character. We still don't know everything about his past though. Rose and Jamie are clearly meant to be. But I felt bad for Robert because he is so sweet.
I was a little surprised because it ended so suddenly ! I though that it was a stand alone so maybe that's why I was so surprised at the end. What happened at the end will have huge consequences and I can't wait to see that.
So I think I'm going to read the sequel !
I got this book on Netgalley, thank you Harlequin Teen !

Awesome review! I can totally relate to Rose too! I can't wait to read it ^_^
ReplyDeleteI have heard amazing things about this book. I love that the book touched you emotionally. I think that's the best part about reading. I definitely want to read this book.
ReplyDeleteAwesome review! I agree with everything you have said, check out my review hunnie- I have included the link on your haul post x hope it works as I'm on my iPad so I'm not sure if it worked. X
ReplyDelete