Friday, 2 March 2012

A Spy in the house (The Agency Book 1) by YS Lee

Rating : 4 / 5

Goodreads : Introducing an exciting new series! Steeped in Victorian atmosphere and intrigue, this diverting mystery trails a feisty heroine as she takes on a precarious secret assignment.

Rescued from the gallows in 1850s London, young orphan (and thief) Mary Quinn is surprised to be offered a singular education, instruction in fine manners — and an unusual vocation. Miss Scrimshaw’s Academy for Girls is a cover for an all-female investigative unit called The Agency, and at seventeen, Mary is about to put her training to the test. Assuming the guise of a lady’s companion, she must infiltrate a rich merchant’s home in hopes of tracing his missing cargo ships. But the household is full of dangerous deceptions, and there is no one to trust — or is there? Packed with action and suspense, banter and romance, and evoking the gritty backstreets of Victorian London, this breezy mystery debuts a daring young detective who lives by her wits while uncovering secrets — including those of her own past.

My review : I really enjoyed reading this book ! Before reading it I had heard good things about it. It's a mystery book set in a victorian era... How cool is that? And the heroine name is Mary ! I was sure I was going to love this book and I did ! I loved the setting and historical context : as i've said London in a Victorian era (1858 precisely). I really liked to see the manners, condition of the women, economy and relationships between people at that time. The story is set in a London that is very stifling with its river Thames stinking. This atmosphere was both peculiar and interesting.
At first I didn't know what to think of this book when I read the prologue and first chapter. Everything is happening really quickly. From the prologue when Mary is a child and then she is 17 in the first chapter. How she is rescued to be educated and then how she discovers the Agency it was all too easy and I didn't like that part. But after that I don't know why I really liked following Mary and her adventures and I was attached to the characters. It was also really interesting to have James' chapters point of view.
I don't know why I loved this book so much because the plot wasn't over the top but I really enjoyed it anyway. I was also pleasantly surprised by the relationship between Mary and James. It was refreshing because this book is not like most YA books focusing on the romance. And even if there is little of that I loved James/Mary relationship. James makes me think of Will from The Internal Devices by Cassandra Clare. And I really liked the end I was once again pleasantly surprised.
As I've said in the beginning of my review I really enjoyed this book and i'm going to keep reading this series because I want to know more about Mary's past and origins. I loved the heroine so I'm sure i'm gonna like the other books in the series. Actually i'm going to receive the second book tomorrow so my review of the next book will be on my blog soon. And the third book just came out today so my review is just in time.

Playlist : Piano Sonata by Chopin.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but great things about this series! Very glad you enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Marie! I have thought about reading this book from time to time, but mysteries aren't really my favorite and I was under the impression that it was a Middle Grade book. I mostly like fantasy/fairytale MG books.

    You've made it sound very entertaining though! If I'm in the mood for a light read, I might pick this up after all. :)

    ~Arya
    http://seaofpages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contente que ce premier tome t'ait plu comrade :) !!
    Hate de savoir ce que tu penses des prochains ..
    Happy reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I read reviews of this book, the more I want to read it. I love mysteries and I love the Victorian era. I think this book will be soon on my shelves! ;)

    I'm eager to read your review of the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ca a l'air pas mal en effet :) Je connaissais pas mais ta review donne envie de découvrir. Bonne lecture pour les prochains tomes!

    ReplyDelete