Rating : 4 / 5
Goodreads : Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
My review : Wow just wow ! There isn't any words to describe the awesomeness that is The Fault in Our Stars.
First I need to say that it's my first John Green book. Yes I know shame on me ! And I want to read more book written by him now. I bought Looking for Alaska last year so it might be my next John Green book to read. I was so excited to read this book because EVERYONE was talking about it on twitter and facebook these past few weeks. And it's also really great and nice that John Green signed every single copy of TFIOS I was happy to receive mine and see that it was signed in blue (my favorite color!).
John Green is a really talented writer. I fell in love with his writing that's what I loved the most in this book. I wanted to quote the whole book while reading it ! His words convey so much beauty, emotions and tragedy at the same time... The characters are just unforgettable. I admired Hazel. I smiled everytime Augustus was "talking", he was heartbreaking toward the end and I was a total mess while reading it... Their frienship at first and then relationship is just beautiful and so real. I loved this connection that they had throught a book and an author. Because An Imperial Allfiction is a character in this book.
When I finished it I was speechless. I was near crying toward the end of the book (can't tell you what for because it would be a huge spoiler). It's the kind of book that makes you think about the value of life and tons of other things. It's the kind of book that leaves a mark in you.
So now at this point in my review you might be asking why did she gave this book 4 stars and not 5 stars?
And to explain that I need to be honest with you guys. This was a difficult book to read for me. Well it must be te everyone there is tons of humor in this book but overall it's a tragic and sad book and you know that before starting it because you know that it's a book about cancer. And I didn't gave it 5 stars because I didn't enjoyed it for several reasons.
I wasn't prepared and ready to read this book. I souldn't have read it right now and especially this week but I heard so much good things about it that I couldn't resist. My grandmother has a cancer right now. We discovered it last summer and it really affected me because my grandmother is the closest person that I have in my life, we live in the same house, it's the person that I talk the most to... And this week she was in the hospital to get surgery and I couldn't see her since I study in another city so I was really worried for her. But now she is fine and she is going back home soon. But anyway that's why TFIOS dealing with cancer was particularly difficult to read for me right now even if Hazel and Angustus cancer is much more tragic and they're also really young... Because of all of that this book scared me and I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted even if the plot, the characters and the writing is extremely beautiful and awesome.
Also I must say that I was a little disappointed by the end. Well I liked how it ended but I wanted to know what happened to Hazel... In fact if we think about it he ended his book a little like the one he is always mentionning to.
This book was a roller coaster of emotions and I highly recommend it !

Awesome review :) !! Glad you liked it !! I so have to get my hands on a copy ..
ReplyDelete