Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Top Ten Historical Books that I loved

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Each week features a different topic, and you make a top ten list about it. This week is a freebie week and I am posting about my top ten historical books. 

1. All the books by Chrétien de Troyes. Medieval books about Lancolot, Gauvain ect.. about the knight of the round table. I love arthurian books <3.
2. La Morte de Arthur by Mallory. Another Arthurian book that I studied for my King Arthur class last year. I loved it. This book focus on the end of the legend when Arthur is older, when the romance Lancelot/Guenievre is revealed.
3. Lancelot ou le chevalier trouble by Estelle Valls de Gomis. Yes I know another Arthurian books but I love them so much. This one is a more modern read. It was released in 2010 and written by a young french author. This book focus on the character of Lancelot and its duality throught several short medieval stories.
4. Tristan & Iseut. It's a medieval legend about an impossible love. I took a class about T&I last year and I read several editions of the book including the opera version by Wagner.
5. Lady R by Henry Courtade. I already talked about this book in my 2011 survey it's my favorite historical book from 2011. It's a french book but I really hope it'll be translated into english one day. This book happens in the late XII century.
6. Young royals series by Carolyn Meyer. I read the two first book about Mary Tudors and Elizabeth Tudors during my christmas break and loved them. This author has also written books about Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Caterina de Medicis, Marie-Antoinette and soon to be released Mary the Scots (May come sooner please!!) that are also part of this series.
7. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. Well it's not really an historical series but I think that the Victorian era is really well depicted in this series.
8.Crusade by Robyn Young. This is part of a trilogy but I only read the first one I need to finish the two other books. So as it is said in the title these books are about Crusades. She also wrote a new series focusing on Robert de Bruce that I got for Christmas and I can't wait to read it too.
9. Marie-Antoinette by Stefan Zweig. I just love her story !
10. Les colombes du Roi-Soleil series by Anne-Marie Desplat Duc. It's a french historical series about Louis XIV era. These books are the first historical books that I loved and introduced me to this genre when I was really young. Same as Le chevalier au bouclier vert by Odile Weulersse. Le faucon déniché by Jean-Côme Noguès & L'affaire Caïus by Henry Winterfeld.

I also wanted to mention The Pillars of the earth by Ken Follet. It's a book about the building of cathedrals in a medieval era. I couldn't put this one in this top ten because I haven't read it yet. I got it for Christmas but i'm sure i'm going to love it. Cathedrals <3.

1 comment:

  1. GEEK !!!!!
    Il faut vraiment que je lise plus de bouquins dans ce genre là, je suis sure que ça me plairait :) !!

    ReplyDelete