Friday, 5 August 2011

North of beautiful by Justina Chen Headley

Rating : 4 / 5

Goodreads : It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?
Written in lively, artful prose, award-winning author Justina Chen Headley has woven together a powerful novel about a fractured family, falling in love, travel, and the meaning of true beauty.

My review : This is a strange but touching and wonderful story. At first the story is very weird I didn't know what all the book was about. I didn't know if I will keep reading it and wanted at first to give it 2 stars (I get that same feeling when I was reading the sky is everywhere). But fortunately I kept reading it and I'm really not disappointed. I liked it a lot more than I pressumed ! I gave it 4 four stars instead of 5 though because it was a little slow sometimes. It was one of the most emotional and deep book that I've ever read. It really makes you think a lot about life, the choices you make...
I learned a lot about port wine stain, cleft lip and geocaching I knew nothing about all that ! 
I didn't like Terra at first but then I felt very bad for her when I learned about her family and all the struggles of her live. Her family context especially her dad is awful ! I can't even imagine what I would feel or do if I was in her situation. And there is Jacob... he is a wonderful character ! And he is Asian :). In the second part of the book they are in China and I loved it because I don't feel like there is enough diversity in YA books. There are a few authors that venture into other cultures but it's always refreshing when I'm reading one. So in this book I discovered another culture and landscape.
Through the book Terra will live a journey that'll change her life thanks to Jacob. And the end was.just.perfect!
North of Beautiful is a must read, totally life changing and I will remember this book all my life.
I really wish I could write like this !

(Also I want to point out that the cover is perfect for this book. Terra is blonde and beautiful but she has a huge port wine stain birthmark on the right side of her face that she trys to keep hidden behind her hair or make up. So the face and position of the girl on this cover is perfect. And the maps are really important in this book so really this cover is amazing !)

No comments:

Post a Comment