Monday, 23 May 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Rating : 3 / 5

Goodreads : Mia has no memory of the accident that changed her life. This inexperienced 17-year-old only recalls riding on that slippery Oregon road with her family, then, in an instant, seeing herself lifted from the twisted wreck.

My review : I think I expected too much of this book. I've heard so many great things about If I stay and it was a good book but I tought that it would much more moving and... well written.
I liked the story and the plot but it was simple and If I stay didn't keep me hooked.
The first chapter really hits the reader hard straight away. And then we are following Mia in the hospital after that accident that had turned her life upside down. It really made me think about how a life can change in just a few seconds.
We also have some chapters with memories of her past. The story and the plot wasn't what I really like about this book. That's why I only gave it 3 stars.
What I really liked is that the music plays an important role in If I stay. And what I loved even more is the main character of the story : Mia. I felt so connected with her. Her love of music, the feeling that she felt like a stranger within her own family, her insecurity at the beginning of her relationship with Adam (which was very realistic)...
And I really liked the end. But i'm not sure i'm going to read the second book. I want to stay with this end.

Book trailer


Playlist
Yo-Yo Ma playing the prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No.1

2 comments:

  1. Je ne l'ai pas beaucoup aimé. J'avais l'impression d'être devant un feuilleton américain du dimanche après-midi.
    Par contre la suite m'a l'air assez sympa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui j'ai eu la même impression que toi ^^. On m'a tellement parlé de ce livre que je m'attendais à quelque chose d'encore plus bouleversant et de ... mieux écrit !

    ReplyDelete