Goodreads : Ever since Viola's boyfriend broke up with her, she has spent her days silently wishing—to have someone love her again and, more importantly, to belong again—until one day she inadvertently summons a young genie out of his world and into her own. He will remain until she makes three wishes.
Jinn is anxious to return home, but Viola is terrified of wishing, afraid she will not wish for the right thing, the thing that will make her truly happy. As the two spend time together, the lines between master and servant begin to blur, and soon Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola. But it's only after Viola makes her first wish that she realizes she's in love with Jinn as well . . . and that if she wishes twice more, he will disappear from her life—and her world—forever.
Review : Read for the first time : 18 - 20 june 2010.
The week before my finals I was tired of studying and I wanted a sweet and quick read and that's why I've decided to re-read As you wish. This book is really cute, it's not the best book i've read, it's not perfect, it's not the most well-written book i've read but I gave it 5 stars when I first read it and 5 stars this year again. I just don't know why... The characters are not incredible (well maybe except Jinn ;)), the plot is simple and the writing is simple as well. But I've just fallen in love with As you wish and I was falling in love all over again with it when I re read it.
I really enjoyed the dual point of view in this book. I mostly love dual POV cause too often in YA, we only get the girl's thoughts, and the guy is automatically rendered mysterious and appealing simply because we, the readers, have no way of knowing what's going on in his head.
I loved Viola. I saw so much of myself in her, it was scary. How it feels to be absolutely invisible, and not even being able to know and understand yourself clearly... She seemed so similar to myself that I couldn't help but smile.
The story about Jinn and his world Caliban and all the wishes system is absolutly fantastic.
And Jinn... OMG I so missed him and I was so happy to discover him again in this second read. I think he may be one of my favorite male character in a YA book (I have do to a post about this :D).
The romance was not an over the top paranormal love but a lovely crush and blooming love. In other books I would have been frustrated but it works so well here.
As in all good supernatural YA, Jackson Pearce explores some deeper issues in As You Wish : the nature of happiness, identity, how important it is to be careful what you wish for...
I don't know... I just love this book. I've also bought Jackson Pearce's other book Sisters Red last summer and I really have to read it this summer !
I also recommend you her youtube channel cause her videos are hilarious !

I look forward to read your review of 13 Little Blue Envelopes !! I've heard the second book was even better ... =)
ReplyDelete