Rating : 3,5 / 5
Goodreads : If someone hurts your sister and you're any kind of man, you seek revenge, right? If your brother's been accused of a terrible crime and you're the main witness, then you banish all doubt and defend him. Isn't that what families do? When Mikey's sister claims a boy assaulted her at a party, his world of work and girls begins to fall apart. When Ellie's brother is charged with the crime, but says he didn't do it, her world of revision, exams and fitting in at a new school begins to unravel. When Mikey and Ellie meet, two worlds collide. Brave and unflinching, this is a novel of extraordinary skillfulness and almost unbearable tension. It's a book about loyalty and the choices that come with it. But above all it's a book about love - for one's family and for another.
My review : I read most of this book at the end of June and then I read the last 100 pages yesterday but I didn't remember everything so this review is gonna be kind of weird sorry ! I really wanted to read this book because I loved Before I Die and Jenny Downham's writing ect... And I really liked this one. I love her writing, it's very honest and realistic, I also love the poetry of her descriptions... Well I know I just gave it 3,5 stars but while I was reading it I wasn't totally into it and I didn't feel much about the characters. I think I expected a lot more of the romance. But then I read the last 100 pages yesterday and just loved it. It's a beautiful book about loyalty, choices, love... The idea is really original. The story alternates between Ellie and Mickey but also gives us a great glimpse at their families. Their expectations and thoughts. They both have a hard life and their life is getting much more complicated with all this "rape" case. There is some heartbreaking moments. The writing and star-crossed love story makes me thing of Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It's a contemporary that you should all read !

No comments:
Post a Comment